BUILDING A NEW STRIPED S-STYLE!

Page 2


More work on the neck....
Install the tuners.

Since I'm using the Schallers from another guitar on this one, the tuner holes had to be 10mm.  While the actual Schallers were still being used, I used some "donor" Grovers with 10mm bodies.

Using my caliper, I tested the "hole template" for 10mm.  You can see the 10mm tuner fit into the 25/64 hole.

On the left you can see the reamer.  I don't recommend using a drill to drill out these holes.  They tend to chip out really bad and it is really easy to drill too much.

 

Here is the reamer with a tape depth gauge.  When you start reaming the tuner hole, you can continue until the tape hits the top of the neck.  Always check when you start getting close.  You don't want slop in the tuner. 

Using the reamer I enlarged each of the six tuner holes.  I used the reamer on the front and back, and alternated while enlarging the holes. 

Here is the neck with the two "E" tuners installed.  No holes were drilled on the back for the screws.  The Schallers and Grovers have different screw patterns.  We'll do that later.  Why only two tuners?  More to follow on this.

Note the "file card" to the right of the reamer.  This is a wire brush used to clean files.  It works great to remove wood from the reamer's cutting flutes.

How do I line up the neck?

We'll use a genuine Fender vintage-style bridge on this guitar.  The body came with the six bridge screw holes drilled. After making sure they actually lined up with the bridge, we screwed-in the two outer screws for alignment.

As always, we use beeswax to lubricate the screws as we screw them in.  It seals the hole and makes the process much easier.

Next we put the brass nut in place and threaded fishing line through both of the E string tuners.  This simulates the string path for the two outside strings.

You can also use thread for this, but the fishing line is stronger and won't break nearly as easily.

 

With the neck in place I tied the fishing line off on the two outside screws.  I wiggled the neck back and forth until it was lined up.  Make sure the fishing line "strings" are lined-up on the neck.  I used a Quik-Clamp clamp to hold the neck in place -- it is removed for this photo.

Once the neck was clamped and the alignment looked good, I put a nail in each one of the neck screw holes on the body and tapped them gently.  This made a "dent" to see where the screws would go.  Once these were marked, I drilled a pilot hole for each of the screws.

This potentially the hardest, and clearly the most critical, of all of the maneuvers because if this is done wrong or poorly, it may lead to a guitar which is unusable!

 

Next up:  Complete a fret job and prep the body!

Back to Page 1, Go to Page 3

Back to Top

 ATTACK HOME BUILDER'S GALLERY

BUILD REPAIR PLAY DISCUSS
Builder's Gallery Repair Techniques Our Original Music Guitar Forum
The "Saga Sagas" Links

Play Guitar

Opinion Page
  Guitar Collection

Listen on Reverbnation

Interesting Guitars


Contact GUITARATTACK GuitarAttack Store KGS Store   HOME