From GuitarAttack: -- Very cool color
My name is Brad Smith.
This was my first build from a kit. I was pleased with the sound right out
of the box before any finishing was done at all. I highly recommend
assembling the kit prior to finishing to note and fix any problems before
the finish is applied. I decided to change out the tuners because of their
low quality for some of MUCH better quality. Everything else is stock.
I shaped the headstock with a jigsaw with a coarse blade, then sanded to get
the final shape. I sanded the rest of the neck because there was a thin
sealer of some sort on it. I wanted it all to be uniform. I
did nothing to the neck other than spraying it with satin clear lacquer from
ReRanch. I applied some WATCO Danish Oil to the rosewood fingerboard to darken it a
little as well as to give it a little shine. It was rather 'light' as is.
The body was sprayed with ReRanch's butterscotch lacquer. I wanted a more
vibrant color, and a less see through finish because the 4-piece body was
less than stunning, so I emptied the entire can on it.
It was then lightly sanded with 800 grit sandpaper, and coated with the same
satin lacquer as used on the neck. I let it dry for two (long) weeks, then wet
sanded with 800, 1000, 1500, and 2000 grits. I then used a rubbing compound and polishing
compound to finish it off.
Next I wired the electronics, removed the quick connectors and soldered directly to
each other complete with the heat shrink tubing.
I put it all back together and it looks and plays great! Thanks for a great
site, keep up the good work!